Friday 31 August 2007

Little Acorns And Big Oaks

All those phrases along a similar line carry a similar message. Don’t take people for granted and don’t underestimate them. At Bob Shepherd Associates we have no patronising attitude to little businesses or one man bands. Some while ago I was at a seminar sitting beside a local bank commercial manager. More I think from a necessity for small talk than anything else he asked me what’s the best one I have ever done? I suppose he was thinking I would say a multi million pound turnover business borrowing or raising sums with many noughts on the end.
Perhaps he was surprised when I said actually the best one I have ever done was a small back street garage that was taken over by my client. After months of working we got the lease sorted out, a loan  from a bank, insurances and all the other stuff that gets in the way of doing what you want to do. I went to see my client on the Monday after he moved in. A skip full of rubbish stood outside and he had worked all weekend clearing out and setting himself up. The look on his face was a picture. He had finally arrived! That was the best one I have ever done.

No comments:

Post a Comment